[Samba] Reproducible samba bug with directory name

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Jan 15 17:46:30 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 12:34 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Simo,
>
> I just tried to create a directory name ending with a dot from XP.
> You're correct, it silently truncates the dot.
>
> And I tried creating a simple test directory "asdf." from Linux on my
> filesystem, and only the mangled name is showing up from XP.
>
> Still seems like a bug to me especially since a cifs client shows the
> correct name, but if this is "works as expected", I'll just be quiet
> about it.

Greg, we simply can't return a name that ends with a ".", Windows
clients can't cope with that. As you are working on a unix machine you
can do that but samba has to change that before returning it to Windows
clients. Just dropping the dot is not possible it would be way too easy
to have conflicts. Mangling is the only option.

Of course the best thing is for you to make up a policy of not creating
windows-incompatible file names at all.

CIFS works probably just because you are using the unix extensions.
If you disable them you will probably see the same mangled name from
CIFS as well.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce