[Samba] Linux disk quota support

emre emre at flash.net
Fri Jan 11 02:11:31 GMT 2008

Ryan Novosielski wrote:

>emre wrote:
>

>>Dear Listmembers,
>>
>>I installed samba-3.0.28 and configured --with-quotas, but I don't seem
>>to be getting quota support.  Is there a description on how to do quotas
>>with samba?  Is there something I should know about besides the
>>configuration
>>option --with-quotas?
>>
>>Thank you,
>>Emre Brookes
>>
>>--------example-----------------
>>
>>Last login: Fri Jan 11 16:44:19 2008 from localhost
>>Linux 2.4.33.3.
>>testquota at samba2:~$ cp termcap termcap2
>>testquota at samba2:~$ cp termcap termcap3
>>sd(8,17): warning, user block quota exceeded.
>>testquota at samba2:~$ rm termcap3
>>testquota at samba2:~$ smbclient //localhost/homes
>>Password:
>>Domain=[SAMBA2] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
>>smb: \> put termcap termcap3
>>putting file termcap as \termcap3 (8757.9 kb/s) (average 8758.8 kb/s)
>>smb: \> put termcap termcap4
>>putting file termcap as \termcap4 (8757.9 kb/s) (average 8758.8 kb/s)
>>smb: \> put termcap termcap5
>>putting file termcap as \termcap5 (89690000.0 kb/s) (average 13138.2 kb/s)
>>smb: \> exit
>>testquota at samba2:~$ ls
>>abcd  termcap  termcap2  termcap3*  termcap4*  termcap5*
>>testquota at samba2:~$
>>

>Something is amiss here. No quota support, to me, means that it won't
>realize it's out of quota, yes. However, seems to me that the OS should
>be enforcing this quota regardless of that fact (meaning that Samba
>would not show an out of quota message, but something less intelligent,
>like permission denied). Anyone else?

I figured it out.  I had the soft disk quota limit set less than the
hard limit.
It appears samba does not recognize the soft disk quota limit, but when
I proceeded to try to exceed the hard limit with samba, it did correctly
give
me an error.  It would be nice to use the soft limits to warn users their
limit is approaching, but having a hard limit will have to suffice.