[Samba] Name Resolution (Network Browsing) in Samba4 server with Vista Client?

Timothy Bisson bissont at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:06:07 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to get a samba4 server to show up while "network browsing"
on a Vista client, but with no success. I've scoured the web and tried
many things, but most documentation is for samba3. I can however mount
the samba4 share using it's UNC path, but I really want netbios name
resolution to work.

With samba 3.0.28, as soon as I start smbd and nmbd, I can view my
samba server through Network Browsing.

Does Samba4 support name resolution?
-If so, how would one configure samba4 to do so?
-If not, what I really want is SMB2 support. How much effort would it
take to backport smb2 to samba 3.2? Would the best approach be to
incorporate the smb_server/smb2 code into samba3/smbd code, or to
completely replace the samba3/smbd code with the samba4/smbd and
samba4/smb_server code?

I'm not really sure what else to try so any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

Here is my setup
----------------------

I checked out Samba_4_0 build 26646. I'm using parallels with vista as
one virtual machine and ubuntu 7.04 as another virtual machine. Both
are on the same subnet. The workgroup name on the vista box is
WORKGROUP.

 From looking at ethereal output on the vista box, it looks like
samba4 isn't broadcasting itself as a server, so the vista client
isn't seen the samba, if that makes any sense.

samb3 smb.conf configuration file:
[globals]
    netbios name    = TIM-DESKTOP
    workgroup   = WORKGROUP
    security = share
    domain master = yes
    wins support = yes
    public = yes
    browseable = yes

[public]
    path = /home/tim/public
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    read only = no

samba4 smb.conf:
[globals]
    netbios name    = TIM-DESKTOP
    workgroup   = WORKGROUP
    realm       = WORKGROUP
    server role     = domain controller
    security = share
    server max protocol = smb2
    wins support = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper samr lsarpc netlogon rpcecho
    lanman auth=yes
    use spnego = yes
    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
    browseable = yes
    auto services = yes

[netlogon]
    path = /root/svnsamba/var/locks/sysvol/workgroup/scripts
    read only = no

[sysvol]
    path = /root/svnsamba/var/locks/sysvol
    read only = no

[public]
    path = /home/tim/public
    browseable = yes
    read only = no

the provsioning step
$./setup/provision  --realm=WORKGROUP --adminpass=wyo123 --
domain=WORKGROUP  --server-role='domain controller'