[Samba] server string ignored

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Mon Feb 25 16:11:04 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces+dmcleod=foranyauto.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces+dmcleod=foranyauto.com at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of
ip guy
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 2:46 AM
To: Scott Lovenberg
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] server string ignored

it's a new server so can't be the issue...

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Scott Lovenberg <scott.lovenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ip guy wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > my samba installation 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4, installed via yum on a
> > CentOS5 sever seems to ignore the server string...
> > no matter what i supply the string variable, the drive is mapped to
> > the
> > win32 clients and echo's the samba version.
> >
> > anyone having the same issue ?
> >
> Have you cleared the cached network names on the clients?  I believe
> they're in the registry under the user hive, IIRC.

What he means is the first time an XP (maybe others) machine connects to
your server, it writes whatever the server string is at that moment to the
registry.
You can change it a hundred times on the server, but it'll never change on
the XP machine until you remove the entry from the registry, or change the
ip of the server.

http://readlist.com/lists/lists.samba.org/samba/2/12188.html

Does that help?
Dennis