[Samba] GDI Printer problem

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Thu Feb 21 15:33:13 GMT 2008

Hello,

You can't use a print processor on a samba machine.

When using client<->server printing with windows, the print processor is
executed on the server (Samba). Because this is not possible (it's a
windows program), the print processor on Samba is hard-wired to
"winprint". This means no more than "I can't do anything with your data"
to the client driver.

Maybe (if your GDI printer does not needed direct communication with the
driver), you can use Samba/CUPS to spool the data, but you have to
install your driver locally - as far as the error is caused by the
missing print processor.

If I remember correctly, this also is mentioned in the Samba HOWTOs.

Bye,

Martin