[Samba] Need help upgrading from 3.0.4 to 3.0.28

Joe joe at freakyacres.com
Wed Feb 20 17:26:26 GMT 2008

I have a FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine running Samba 3.0.4.  I am going to
upgrade Samba to 3.0.28.  The process I would follow would be...

download source
configure
make
make install

My questions are...

1. Can I "make install" with users connected to the samba
    server and using shares?

2. Can I just restart nmbd and smbd to run the new version?
    What happens to connected users if I restart nmbd and smbd?

2. Will I need to change anything in smb.conf?

3. Will any of the samba databases (users) get destroyed/erased/
    changed?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous about creating
a big mess during the upgrade.