[Samba] Problem with samba+openldap with regard changing passwords from windows

Alan Goodman lists at goodmanemail.com
Wed Feb 20 10:19:15 GMT 2008

Edmundo Valle Neto wrote:
> Alan Goodman escreveu:
>> Edmundo Valle Neto wrote:

>>> Post your smb.conf.
>>>
>>> Edmundo Valle Neto
>> http://pastebin.com/f5fba0114
>>
>> Alan
>
> netbios name = MARANATHACENTRA
>
> Netbios names can have a maximum of 12 characters, it will probably be
> truncated. (but this isnt related to your problem)
>
> You only need password options if you want that unix passwords stay in
> sync.
>
> Then, you only need "ldap passwd sync = Yes". Its commented out, you
> already tried it? What happens?
>
> These three options together works too.
> unix password sync = Yes
> passwd program = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
> passwd chat = "Changing password for*\nNew password*" %n\n "*Retype
> new password*" %n\n"
>
> Theres a double quote that isn't needed at the end (its not opening
> nor closing any string), the old smbldap-tools documentation shows
> that way (wrong), I dont have sure if it is really a problem.
>
> If it doesn't work as you said that it works at command line, include
> a piece of log using level 3 when a client try to change its password.
>
> Regards.
>
> Edmundo Valle Neto
>
> Besides that, the configuration is right.
>
> "/usr/local/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u anyuser" works when executed from
> the command line?
> What samba version you use, you compile your own packages?
Here you go...

http://pastebin.com/f61c911dd - logs

In answer to your questions...

Yeah that command works as root on the CLI
Samba version is 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4
No I used the RPM's
OpenLDAP version...
slapd -V
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.3.27 (Nov 10 2007 09:24:08) $

mockbuild at builder6.centos.org:/builddir/build/BUILD/openldap-2.3.27/openldap-2.3.27/build-servers/servers/slapd

Many thanks for your help.  It is much appreciated.

Alan