[Samba] understanding the ldap backend

ml at bortal.de ml at bortal.de
Tue Feb 19 09:11:31 GMT 2008

Hello List,

i am trying to understand the LDAP-backend i just set up. Maybe someone
can help me a little understanding the whole magic.

In smb.conf i have my smbldap-tools scripts:
  # use the smbldap-tools scripts
  add user script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
  delete user script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-userdel "%u"
  add machine script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
  add group script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
  delete group script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-groupdel "%g"
  add user to group script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
  delete user from group script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
  set primary group script = /usr/sbin//smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"

and some ldap specific stuff:
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
  ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=net
  ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=net
  ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
  ldap user suffix = ou=Users
  ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
  ldap idmap suffix = ou=Users
  idmap backend = ldap://127.0.0.1
  #ldap ssl = start tls
  ldap delete dn = Yes

1.) Now how does the authentification excatly work? Does samba talk
directly to the ldap database and verifies user/password?
2.) I guess changing/deleting passwords/users is beeing made by the
smblda-tools.
3.) How does samba get the user ids? By contacting the ldap database
directl again?
4.) How does samba get he user/group of files and folders? By nss?
5.) Has samba got anything to do with nss/libnss-ldap?

Thanks, Mario