[Samba] netbios name resolution inside linux via samba?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 15:04:50 GMT 2008

Hello,
I have setup up samba on my pc and everything is working great. I
setup my writable shared folders I can view other servers/pcs on the
network using gnome but sometimes I need to debug some networking
issues and I would like to for example:

ping myserver4
ping: unknown host myserver4

Is there a way to setup up linux to use samba for name resolution?
The only way I know right now is to add myserver4 to /etc/hosts, but
since there is 70 computer on a network is there an easier way?
Automatically add all of them to /etc/hosts? or setup linux to use
samba name resolution tools ? or?

OS: Debian Stable
setup: http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController

Thanks.