[Samba] Re: Wrong perms on new files/dirs using `mount -t cifs`

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Fri Feb 15 02:46:06 GMT 2008

Michael Heydon wrote:
>> Historically I set those perms on the share, and that has always
>> worked with Windows clients.
>>
> Windows does not use unix style permissions, it has no equivilant to the
> fmask/dmask settings.

I understood that defined on the share, that is the way to specify what the permissions on new files/dirs will be, and it certainly seems to work that way when dealing with Windows clients.

Thus I assumed that a Linux client would work equally well. However I found out otherwise...

> If you want to change
> this, you can still use force * mode settings on the server, or you can
> disable unix extensions and use the *_mode options to mount.cifs to
> mimick the old behavior.

I think I would prefer the "force * mode" method rather than disabling anything at this point.

Could you elaborate on what exactly you are suggesting to do?

Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems