[Samba] samba BDC, share host

Andy theands at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 00:33:37 GMT 2008

Hello everyone,

I am faced with a samba related problem, I have set up a PDC with a ldap
backend. This PDC is working perfectly. I have also set up another samba box
to act as my BDC. The BDC is working correctly as well.

PDC:192.168.1.1
BDC:192.168.1.2
My PDC is currently sharing a few file shares.

I would like my BDC to host a few file shares as well. I share the file
like this,(this is in the BDC smb.conf file)

[shared]
   comment = test share
   browseable = yes
   path = /home/shared
   public = yes
   valid users = @domain users

when I browse to my BDC wit \\192.168.1.2\

I get a error saying that I do not have permissions to access this. The
error message also states that the service is not started.

In the BDC smb.conf files I have specified the following

[global]
        workgroup = midgard
        server string = The Web
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://192.168.1.1
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path =
        logon drive = H:
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=admin,dc=example,dc=net
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
        ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=net
        ldap user suffix = ou=People
        invalid users = root

[shared]
   comment = test share
   browseable = yes
   path = /home/shared
   public = yes
   valid users = @domain users

Can anyone explain to me what is wrong with my BDC config files. Why can't I
browse to it?

--
REGARDS,
Andy Z