[Samba] winbind and nscd

Anthony Mercatante tonio at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 09:47:00 GMT 2008

Good morning,

Recently, I had, for one of our clients, to set up a dns cache on linux
desktops running winbind in an active directory environment.

I knew winbind and nscd where not supposed to work correctly together, due to
UID/GID cache conflicts arround nss, winbind maintaining its own cache.

What I did is simply disable all caches in nscd.conf and just use the "hosts"
caching.

It seems to work correctly, but as all samba documentations expect nscd to be
removed, I was wondering if there was another consequence of using nscd with
that specific configuration I might miss somewhere...

I can't see what impact using nscd as a hosts only cache system would impact
winbind, but I'd like someone to eventually confirm so that I can deploy this
solution ;)

By advance, thanks for the help !

Anthony Mercatante