[Samba] FreeBSD: Changing UNIX passwords from Windows

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Feb 11 03:32:12 GMT 2008

Ken Gunderson wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 02:06:51 +0100
> "Jon Theil Nielsen" <jontheil at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hello
>>
>> We have a FreeBSD server (7.0 BETA3) running as PDC (Samba 3.0.28) passwords
>> stored in tdbsam. Theres are no problems for users and machines to log on to
>> the network as long as they use the passwords I have made by smbpasswd -a
>> username. But I cannot make a working configuration which allows users to
>> change their own passwords on the server. They are told something like "You
>> do not have permission to change your password". I guess the problem is the
>> communication between Samba and the server, the passwd chat, but I'm not
>> sure. I have the following lines in smb.conf
>>
>> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>> unix password sync = Yes
>> passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*passwordn* %n\n
>>

> Might want to try:
>
> passwd chat = *Old*Password* %n\n *New*Password* %n\n
> *Retype*New*Password* %n\n

The password command is called as root, I believe that one of the
requirements is that it does not prompt for the old password since samba
will have no idea what the old password was.

If you enable passwd chat debugging (and maybe up the log level) you
should be able to see exactly what is sent and recieved by samba/passwd.

> --hth

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>