[Samba] Problem with SMBFS vs CIFS

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Feb 1 18:49:38 GMT 2008

On 2008/02/01 10:59 (GMT-0600) Trimble, Ronald D apparently typed:

>                 I have the following Samba RPMs installed...
> samba-client-3.0.26a-0.5
> samba-3.0.26a-0.5
> samba-pdb-3.0.26a-0.5
> yast2-samba-server-2.9.33-0.3
> kdebase3-samba-3.2.1-68.62
> samba-winbind-3.0.26a-0.5
> yast2-samba-client-2.9.18-0.3
> samba-python-3.0.26a-0.5

>                 I used to be able to do a mount with -t smbfs, but not I get this message whenever I try it.

> Version 3.0.26a-0.5-1590-SUSE-SLES9

> Please be aware that smbfs is deprecated in favor of cifs

>                 How do I get this back to using SMBFS?

If you can get CIFS to work as a replacement to SMBFS, that's what you should
do. If you have Win9x and/or OS/2 shares on your network, you'll need to
recompile your SUSE kernel to include SMBFS support to provide acceptable
access to those shares. The kernel developers seem to have planned to remove
the possibility to recompile with SMBFS enabled in post-2.6.24 kernels.
--
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one
and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409