[Samba] Do I need a WINS server if I want to browse?

Scott Grizzard scott at scottgrizzard.com
Thu Dec 18 03:35:14 GMT 2008

What is the advantage of NOT running a WINS server?

I always thought that if the WINS server was down (even if it is
listed in the dhcp that the clients get), the Windows and Clients
revert to broadcast for name recognition - so there is no reason not
to run one on the network.  Is that not correct?

- Scott Grizzard