[Samba] first logon always fails

Urs Golla urs.golla at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 16:47:34 GMT 2008

Hi

I use winbind on Linux for authentication (using ADS acounts) on many
servers and it works very well on all of them. I use the same configuration
and the same Domain Controllers etc..

I have 4 new servers which are all in a special network segment (behind a
load balancer). On all of them I have the problem, that when I try to logon
with my Active Diretory Account, it says "permission denied". If I try it
again it works. Always! After that I can logon and logoff as many times as i
want, it always works without problems. If i (and also non if the other
users) do not logon for some hours, it starts again: first logon does not
work, all following logons work without problems.

winbindd.log:

(...)
  write_socket: Error writing 270 bytes to socket 18: ERRNO = Connection
reset by peer
[2008/12/03 18:26:03, 0] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_send_smb(189)
  Error writing 270 bytes to client. -1 (Connection reset by peer)
[2008/12/03 18:26:03, 0] rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_api_pipe(790)
  rpc_api_pipe: Remote machine mydc pipe \lsarpc fnum 0x4004returned
critical error. Error was Write error: Connection reset by peer
[2008/12/03 18:26:03, 1] nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgrnam(519)
  group myservergroup in domain mydomain does not exist
[2008/12/03 18:26:03, 1] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_rpc_pipe_close(387)
  cli_rpc_pipe_close: cli_close failed on pipe \lsarpc, fnum 0x4004 to
machine mydc.  Error was Write error: Success

ADS administrators told me they have no entry in theyr log for the faild
logon.

Any ideas?

I am actually not sure if this is the right place for these kind of
questions. So feel free to redirect me elsewhere if my question has landed
in the wrong place.

Urs