[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Wed Aug 27 21:03:55 GMT 2008

Brian H. Nelson wrote:

>> Michael Adam wrote:
>> What is more, rpath also has some bad effects (when
>> updating libraries, e.g.), so it should not be set unconditionally.
>

> Could you elaborate on why/when setting rpath would cause problems? I'm
> having trouble coming up with an example.

I think there was an issue with RPATH in the executable taking higher
priority than the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and Linux
distributions updating libraries in a funny way (moving the old
libraries to a different directory).

On Solaris LD_LIBRARY_PATH always had a higher priority than RPATH
although I think this broke some standard. To comply with standards,
RUNPATH was introduced which has a lower priority than LD_LIBRARY_PATH
matching the behaviour of the Solaris RPATH. The -R option on Solaris
now sets both RPATH and RUNPATH but RPATH is ignored when RUNPATH is
present.

A cannot think of any objection to using -R with $ORIGIN on Solaris.

See:

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1984/6mhm7pld8?a=view#indexterm-814

I don't see why there should be a problem on Linux provided the RPATH
only includes directories which are part of the Samba build and are
exclusive to Samba.

/opt/samba/bin, /opt/samba/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would be OK.

/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would bad.

/usr/bin, /usr/lib and RPATH=$ORIGIN/../lib would be very bad.

Nick