[Samba] [ANNOUNCE] Samba 3.2.2 Available for Download

Brian H. Nelson bnelson at cis.ysu.edu
Fri Aug 22 13:17:31 GMT 2008

James Kosin wrote:
> Tim,
> You still may have to move the libraries to their normal spot or make an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf to point to the directory where the libraries are kept for samba.
>
> James

On Solaris, one uses the crle command to achieve the same result.

Aside from that, I believe that the general practice for packages that
include their own libraries is to hard-code the libpath into any
applicable binaries using '-rpath $prefix/lib' in the linking step (or
'-R $prefix/lib' with Solaris ld).

If you install samba into its own area (say /usr/local/samba) and the
libraries are installed in a non-system location (perhaps
/usr/local/samba/lib), messing with the runtime linker config to make
samba work should NOT be required.

-Brian