[Samba] Samba and Vista Home Prem login problems

Brad Sacks bradsacks99 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 16:38:27 GMT 2008

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I haven't used Samba that much so I appreciate
the help. I guess I didn't have logging turned on and I wasn't on
3.2.1. So I got 3.2.1 and turned on logging. This is the error I get
when I connect on that share:

[2008/08/17 09:35:57,  1] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_name(1791)
  get_peer_name: getnameinfo failed for 192.168.1.3 with error
Temporary failure in name resolution

This is what my general config looks like:

        workgroup = XXXXX
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        netbios name = MYBOX
        announce version = 5.0
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        ;passdb backend = tdbsam
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        password level = 8
;       null passwords = true
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
        wins support = yes

I found some of this stuff online so I'm not sure I need all of it.

My share def looks like this:

[webroot]
        comment = Web Server Root
        path = /var/www/html