[Samba] Successfully running NT4 type domain on Samba 3.0 as PDC?

Jason A. Nunnelley jason at jasonn.com
Sun Aug 3 09:34:29 GMT 2008

We finally got Samba working.  It seems it just didn't like letting the
Windows XP box log onto the network when the system's user ID was not
part of the trusted Admins group... of course, I had to promote the
privileges manually, and it worked fine.  I was just trying to add the
machine to the network without the proper credentials.

I was under the impression these credentials were only required to add
the machine with an automated script, but alas that was not the case.
Once I added all the privileges to the account adding the machines, it
allowed me to join the machine to the domain.

Next, we corrected the add-machine scripts (which need tweaking if
you're using the FreeBSD port).  It seems to work fine but needs a
real-life test which we'll do soon enough.

BTW, I'm using winbind.

--

Jason A. Nunnelley
JasonN.com is my website - all opinions expressed were mine at some point.