[Samba] Issue with Samba 3.0.28a and Active Directory

thomas62186218 at aol.com thomas62186218 at aol.com
Sun Apr 27 01:45:19 GMT 2008

Hi all,

1.  We are using Linux kernel 2.6.20.11 64-bit and Samba 3.0.28a

2.  We are trying to connect from this linux machine to a Windows ADS
running on a separate Windows 2003 system (WINADS machine).

3.  Though we are able to retrieve the name of the WINADS machine from
linux (We see the name of the  machine in samba log file), we are
unable to access any of the users in the WINADS machine.

4.  The following is our smb.conf file

[global]

       preservecase              = yes

       log file                  = /var/log/samba/%m

       read raw                  = yes

       write raw                 = yes

       idmap gid                 = 600-20000

       socket options            = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY

       wins server               = 192.168.0.30

       encrypt passwords         = yes

       hosts allow               = 192.168.0.65

       realm                     = TESTADS.NET

       winbind use default domain = Yes

       level2 oplocks            = true

       max xmit                  = 65535

       template shell            = /bin/bash

       casesensitive             = yes

       Security                  = ads

       netbios name              = TESTNETBIOS

       oplocks                   = yes

       write cache size          = 262144

       server string             = tom

       idmap uid                 = 600-20000

       winbind enum users        = Yes

       winbind nested groups     = Yes

       defaultcase               = lower

       shortpreservecase         = yes

       workgroup                 = TESTWORKGROUP

       winbind enum groups       = Yes

       security                  = ads

       preferred master          = no

       max log size              = 50

       log level                 = 3

       password server          = 192.168.0.30

5.  The following is our lmhosts file

              127.0.0.1 localhost

              192.18.0.30 sridharg.TESTADS.NET

6.  The following is our KRB5.conf file

              [libdefaults]

              ticket_lifetime           = 24h

              forwardable               = yes

              default_realm             = TESTADS.NET

              dns_lookup_kdc            = false

              dns_lookup_realm          = false

              [logging]

              admin_server              = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log

              default                   = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log

              kdc                       = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

              [realms]

              TESTADS.NET = {

              kdc = sridharg.TESTADS.NET

              admin_server =sridharg.TESTADS.NET

              default_domain = TESTADS.NET

              }

              [domain_realm]

              TESTADS.NET =TESTADS.NET

              .TESTADS.NET =TESTADS.NET

              [appdefaults]

              pam = {

              debug = false

                             ticket_lifetime = 36000

                             renew_lifetime = 36000

                             forwardable = true

              krb4_convert = false

              }

              [kdc]

              profile     = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

7.  We started smbd and nmbd service

8.  When we enter "net ads join -U sridharg at TESTADS.NET ", we are
prompted to enter the password.

              "sridharg at TESTADS.NET's password:  "

9.  After entering the password of sridharg (available on TESTADS.NET),
we are getting the following error .

              "Failed to join domain: Operations error" .

Your assistance is greatly appreciated. thanks!

-Thomas