[Samba] Samba and Vista profile probs

Sat Apr 19 16:11:12 GMT 2008

On 4/19/2008, Andrea Venturoli (ml at netfence.it) wrote:
> Charles Marcus ha scritto:
>> On 4/18/2008, Andrea Venturoli (ml at netfence.it) wrote:
>>>
>>> I have \\PDC\username as home dir and \\PDF\username\profile[.V2]
>>> there.

>> Not a good idea...

> The only problems I see with this is that a user can manually access
> it.

Well, the way I see it, why give users the power to screw something up
if it isn't necessary? If you do, it is only a matter of *when*, not
if... I find it strange that you see this as acceptable.

If you don't give someone the opportunity/ability to screw something up,
then they won't, its that simple.

That said, I did this for a number of years too (although I at least
made the folder hidden so the user couldn't even see it unless they
enabled showing hidden files and folders), and had lots of minor,
occasional file corruption in the user profiles that required a chkdsk
/f to be run to fix...

These problems completely disappeared when I moved the profiles to their
own share. At the same time I also redirected the Desktop, Application
Data and My Documents folders to their home directory, where prior to
that I had manually pointed their My Documents folder to this share.
This worked wonderfully to make all of the user profiles extremely
small, so now logging in/out is very fast, and have had no file
corruption since.

This was, however, on a real Windows 2000 Domain Controller though... I
have always run Samba with things set up this way since thats how I
learned it in the windows world - maybe Samba doesn't have the same
problem...

Anyway, as I said, it is a free world, and you are free to do things
however you like, even if it ends up causing yourself unnecessary grief.

--

Best regards,

Charles