[Samba] write list vs read list

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon Apr 14 14:13:25 GMT 2008

On Monday 14 April 2008, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> > [LABORATORIO_SMB]
> >         comment           = Cartella privata Laboratorio
> >         path              = /mnt/samba/lab_smb
> >         browsable         = yes
> >         valid users       = @laboratorio, @estero
> >         write list        = @laboratorio
> >         read only         = yes
>
> No way!

That works for me all day long.

And it was more in reference to your first post:
> I'd like to set a share as writable for a specific users' group, and
> only readable for another

You can simplify as I show, you don't need a "write list" and a "read
list". If you make a share "read only" then it is read only by default,
yet those on the "write list" will have write privileges. The less
complicated, the easier to read and troubleshoot.

> [LABORATORIO_SMB]
>         comment           = Cartella privata Laboratorio
>         path              = /mnt/samba/lab_smb
>         browsable         = yes
>         available         = yes
>         valid users       = @laboratorio, @estero, luca.ferrari
>         write list        = @laboratorio
>         read list         = @estero, luca.ferrari
>         writable          = yes
>
> but the testparm still says:
>
> [LABORATORIO_SMB]
>         comment = Cartella Laboratorio Sassuolo
>         path = /mnt/samba/laboratorio_smb
>         valid users = @laboratorio
>         read list = @estero, luca.ferrari
>         write list = @laboratorio
>         force group = laboratorio
>         read only = No

It looks to me like you have multiple smb.conf files and you're editing
the one the system is not using. Your last testparm still shows
a "force group" parameter but there is none listed in your share
definition. Also "available" is on by default, one less parameter you
can drop to make it all more readable.

--
Chris