[Samba] problems setting a public share

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Apr 9 10:06:00 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 9 April 2008 Michael Heydon's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> SMB connections always have a username (when using user level security).
> Is there a user called "guest" on the server? Is $USER set on the client
> machine?

The user guest exists, I've tried to set the password to none (-n option of
smbpasswd) and now I can enter the samba server also without specifying a
user (if I specify a non-existent username, as you suggested, I can enter the
share).

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
I've got only another doubt: being public the share, is there a possibility to
block access to a few users or machines in an ip list? Can I work with such
parameters in a guest ok share?

Thanks,
Luca