[Samba] failed to get machine password for account

Ivan Arteaga iarteaga at cwpanama.net
Tue Apr 8 14:03:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have a samba server working as pdc, i have xp workstations joined to
the samba domain working fine but suddenly since last week some of them
can´t log into the domain and got an error message about the server is
not available, the strange thing is the other machines can log in
without problems.
In the /var/log/samba/smbd.log i got the following error when the
machine tries to log in:

[2008/04/08 08:47:58, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_net_auth_2(461)
  _net_auth2: failed to get machine password for account pc_name$:
NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT

I had to create a new machine account in the server and change the
machine name in order to get into the domain. I will appreciate any tip
in order to fix it up.
My OS is centOS 4.4 and samba 3.025xx

Regards,

--Ivan.