RE [Samba] smbldap-useradd -w won't create machine account

Quinn Fissler qfissler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:22:04 GMT 2008

samba uses nss_ldap for the check during the add - ie it uses smbldap to add
and then uses nssldap to check the account was created.

The problem arises if the nssldap isn't configured properly.

if you do
   getent passwd
on the samba host, does it work? do you see ldap users or only local
(/etc/passwd)?

/etc/ldap.conf or /etc/openldap/ldap.conf is the culprit