[Samba] samba 3.0.23a => 3.0.26a - simple config, working fine

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Thu Sep 27 11:32:23 GMT 2007

Mostly a suggestion to a problem you may find to a change performed in 3.0.25 and above.

From: http://us1.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.0.25a.html

Changes to MS-DFS Root Share Behavior
=====================================

Please be aware that the initial value for the "msdfs root" share
parameter was changed in the 3.0.25 release series and that this
option is now disabled by default.  Windows clients frequently require
a reboot in order to clear any cached information about MS-DFS
root shares on a server and you may experience failures accessing
file services on Samba 3.0.25 servers until the client reboot
is performed.  Alternately, you may explicitly re-enable the
parameter in smb.conf.   Please refer to the smb.conf(5) man page
for more details.

The sympton you will see is that some of the previously mapped network drives will give you a
permission denied on certain machines. Sometimes even a reboot will not fix it and basically you
need to un-mount then re-mount the share on the same drive letter and things will start working.

HTH and saves you some time... ;)

Diego