[Samba] Samba PDC - How to disable system locking on Windows XP

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 02:18:22 GMT 2007

> I have tried many approaches and am out of idea.  I would like my
> Windows XP to stop locking the screen when I leave for 10 minutes or
> so.  I know this is an XP question, but I feel it is related to Samba
> PDC since all suggestions that  I have found indicate I should not be
> seeing this.

This is purely a Windows question and has nothing at all to do with
Samba.

Unless you have domain policies (via an Samba server in NT4 PDC mode)
that define screen saver preferences this is entirely a workstation
configuration or user profile issue.

The default ADM files for use with NT4 POLEDIT do not set a screen
locking policy for XP, so unless you or someone at your side extended
the ADM files and defined such a policy in the NTCONFIG.POL file it is
very unlikely that you have such a policy.

> I have disabled the screen saver.
> I have search the group policy editor.
> I have used groupmap to map the logged in user to Domain Admins.  I have
> added Domain Admins to the local XP machines Administrator list (this
> appears fine since I can do anything an Admin can do on this PC).
> I have checked power settings and set everything to 2 hours or more and
> disable any locking checkbox.
> I have modified the registry to disable the XP system lock button.
> Any ideas as to what is going on?

Check local policies again,  if you can't find the issue then reinstall
and delete your roaming profile before logging back onto the domain.

Or live with it since locking on idle is a good security practice.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com