[Samba] wierd permissions issue

Henrik Hudson lists at rhavenn.net
Thu Sep 20 18:20:28 GMT 2007

Hey List-

Okay, I've got a 2003 AD Server which has all the office users setup, groups,
etc...   I have a FreeBSD apache development box with a couple of shares on
it for devels to use. This devel box also has proftpd authentication external
domain users via PAM.

The issue I was having is that the FTP users could login, but they couldn't
write or create files. The permissions were showing up as:

username  :  BUILTIN\users
files are mostly 664 and directories are all 775

I'm guessing this is relating to the "Domain Users" group. So, I changed the
group to be 'internalgroup' of which everyone is a member. Now, the FTP users
have zero issue, but the internal users now can't create new files in those
directories via the fileshares.

I have double checked that everyone is in the 'internalgroup'. I even tried
setting the 'Primary Group' option in Windows to be 'internalgroup' and
having a user reboot and try again. No dice. As soon as I change the group
owner back to 'BUILTIN\users' everything works fine again for internal users,
but FTP users are hosed again.

Any thoughts?

Henrik
--