[Samba] ntp policy example question

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:15:28 GMT 2007

I would like to configure a linux ntp server on my lan as the ntp server for
my windows xp clients
I'm not able to come to an understandable solution (due probably to my lack
in windows knowledge)
I found  this in samba archives:

CLASS MACHINE

CATEGORY !!Time
	POLICY !!NTPServer
	KEYNAME SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters
		PART !!NTP_SERVER 			EDITTEXT
			VALUENAME "NtpServer"
		END PART
		PART !!SERVERTYPE			EDITTEXT
			VALUENAME "type"
		END PART
	END POLICY
END CATEGORY	; Time

[Strings]
Time="Time Servers"
NTPServer="NTP Server"
NTP_SERVER="NTP Server address"
SERVERTYPE="Server Type (ntp)"

Can anyone explain how to practically use then it?
I'm using reg2adm from novell web site
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/13885.html
but it hangs trying to import this. And I don't have apparently system
policy editor (is it the same as gpedit.msc??)

- what parts to substitute with real values
- how to import/load the resulting file
- how to configure winxp client: configure to start automatically "Windows
time" service?
- users don't have admin privileges and cannot change time on their win xp
clients. One with admin privileges when double clicking hour at bottom
right,
then selecting label "internet time" what is expected to see after
configuring what above?

Thanks in advance,
Gianluca