[Samba] Re: Error Joining a Domain

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Mon Sep 17 07:28:40 GMT 2007

Ian schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone have any idea to the problem below? Sorry if its already been answered.
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
> On 9/11/07, Ian <barnracoon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to join my FreeBSD machine to an AD domain and keep
>> getting the following error when joining the domain using samba 3.0.24
>> :
>>
>> Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that
>> the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
>> Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials.
>> Disabled account for 'S058002' in realm 'DS1.AD.DOMAIN.COM'

[...]
>> Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ian

Hello,

my bet is, that your "short" server name is resolved to the same name,
as your "long" server name is.

If you have something like this in your /etc/hosts:
192.168.10.100		S058002

You'll get this error. You actually need:

192.168.10.100		S058002 S058002.DS1.AD.DOMAIN.COM

to make it work. Otherwise you'll get some sort of "twice the same name
- error" from the server - and net reports an error. But that's after
"net" has added the machine account and is trying to set some more
parameters.

Bye,
Martin