[Samba] LMPassword and NTPassword

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Mon Sep 17 05:51:00 GMT 2007

Hallo, Andrew,

Du (abartlet) meintest am 17.09.07:

>> I have to transfer samba passwords from an LDAP installation to a
>> non- LDAP installation, passwddb is smbpasswd.
>>
>> LDAP shows "sambaLMPassword" and "sambaNTPassword"; smbpasswd needs
>> 2 password entries.
>> Can I copy the above LDAP passwords? If yes: what is what?

> See 'pdbedit -i ldapsam -e smbpasswd'.  We do actually have migration
> commands to help you out!

Sorry - doesn't work.
Samba 3.0.23c

In my test installation I have only 1 user.

        pdbedit -i ldapsam -e smbpasswd

changes the date of "/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd", but the size of the
file is 0.

        pdbedit -i ldapsam -e tdbsam

works some more seconds and makes some entries in ".../secrets.tdb" (I
can see the machine name), but I can't find an entry with the user's
name.

In "/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd": which of the 2 encrypted passwords is
the LMPassword? I have the informations from slapcat, I can work with
shell scripts.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut