[Samba] Re: Samba can't find its hostname via broadcast

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Oct 17 16:53:10 GMT 2007

Atrox wrote:
> Samba can't find its hostname via nmblookup:
> $ nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 frontier
> querying frontier on 192.168.1.255
> name_query failed to find name frontier

Have you ever had another (multiple) IP addresses on this particular installation? Long long ago I ran into issues with a test box that had been known by several IP addresses over the course of time.
nmbd got confused and did not know the IP address of the server itself.

I flushed the wins cache on the PDC and all was well. That is...

stopped samba
deleted /var/run/samba/wins.tdb
started samba

In my case, it tried the oldest two IP addresses the server had been known as, just not the current IP address. Flushing WINS resulted in WINS being rediscovered, and thus the current IP address of
the server was detected, and "samba could find itself again!"

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems