[Samba] working smb,conf file for Windows Vista

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Oct 12 02:53:30 GMT 2007

Hello All,

I am still trying to get a working smb.conf that will work with Windows
Vista clients in a Windows 2003 server AD domain. I am using an older 3.10
version of Samba.  On my home network I can get Vista clients to see their
logon "H:" drive using Samba as a PDC . My current Samba server at school
used as a file server shows the H: drive fine on Windows 2000 & XP client
machines after they are logged into the domain. I do not see any errors in
the samba logs on this server when a Vista machine logs into it? I would
think there should be some indication of an message exchange?
ALso once I have logged into this Samba server, I can simply do
\\sambaserver in the Windows explorer and I can see my H: home folder with
no probs and can drag/drop files to from the server,same as XP machines
can. How else could I troubleshoot this in regards to seeing were the
Samba to Vista machine is failing? How would I use Wireshark to
troubleshoot this?
 I am guessing this has something to do with the Vista   .v2 profile thing?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry Cisna