[Samba] Limit connections on per file basis

benny88 bencrebo at beechencliff.org.uk
Fri Nov 30 10:01:40 GMT 2007

I host a server where the files on the server are licensed such that only one
user can access each file at any one time.

To clarify: There could be 100 files on the server, and each file can only
ever be read by one user.

I'm trying to find a way of either allowing only 1 TCP connection per file,
or perhaps forcing a read-lock on every file opened such that no other users
can access a file when another user opens it.

So far the only way I've found of doing this is putting each file in it's
own share and setting the "max connections" param to 1.  It's fair to say
that this is impractical, and not scalable.

The server is a GNU/Linux system running Ubuntu 6.06 and Samba 3.0.22.

It might be something I can solve outside of the samba software, using OS
software instead.  Any suggestions on how to solve this problem would be
great.

Thanks

-Ben