[Samba] RE: configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

Greg Byshenk samba at byshenk.net
Fri Nov 16 09:57:55 GMT 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:00:19PM -0800, Morimoto, Mark K wrote:

> > I get this when I run ./configure.  I have searched for other problems
> > and others who had the problem say its due to cc not being installed.
> > Well its not but I have gcc.
> >
> > So I saw where someone put define CC=gcc and then ran the ./configure
> > command.  I tried it but still the same error.
> >
> > So what is the solution?  Should I install C?  I am running this on a
> > solaris 9 on x86.

What does the 'config.log' say?  Does it indicate exactly what it is
trying to do or which compiler it is trying to use?

I've seen this error ("C compiler cannot create executables") when
someone has attempted to use the Intel compilers when they don't have
a license for them. I think that you might also see it if you are
missing some libraries.

But the log should provide at least some hints.

greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL