[Samba] Migrating a smbpasswd domain controller to LDAP

Josir Gomes josircg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:38:03 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I have a small network running Samba 3.0.2 / Mandrake - everything is
working fine with all winXP and 98 stations happy :)

As a lot of users depends on this server, I want to install a BDC server in
order to have a backup server.

The SAMBA3-HowTo suggests that the best way is to install a LDAP
authentication but my current authentication is smbpasswd.

As I can't do those changes on the production server, risking my current
installation, what is the best strategy to install a new server and import
my current user/group configs?

Thanks in advance,
Josir Gomes