[Samba] Setting Samba to Listen on VMWare Interface

Mark Sargent coolboarderguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:52:40 GMT 2007

Hi All,

am wanting to set up samba so that it only listens on the VMWare interface.
I set interfaces as below,

interfaces = 192.168.178.1/24

but I still don't see my share from XP. I for a username/password. Do I need
to create the account on the XP machine on the Linux machine?

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /home/marks
   public = yes
   writable = yes

I turned off the firestarter firewall to eliminate it as the issue.

path on XP is \\192.168.178.1 in an Explorer window. No firewall enabled on
XP machine. Linux distro where the share is, is Ubuntu (Feisty). I can ping
the VMware host from the guest XP, so connectivity is fine. Anyone here who
can steer me in the right direction? Cheers.

Mark Sargent
--

"Tell me and I'll forget, show me and I may not remember, involve me, and
I'll understand."

Native American Proverb