[Samba] Abnormal Windows behaviour with Samba

Erebus tzanidis at gmail.com
Sat May 26 19:53:07 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am using Samba v3.0.24 on an Ubuntu Server system as a fileserver for 30
pcs. Samba is working nice but I face a problem that I can't tell if it is
because of Samba or Windows. Let me explain:

On the Windows terminals (XP SP2) I have changed the special folders
settings in registry, so as to redirect them to samba shares instead of
local folders. Among the folders I have changed is the desktop folder, the
start menu and the startup folder, which now point to i.e.
\\server\share\folder.

I have also setup a WINS server in Samba, I have configured my dhcpd to
distribute the WINS ip to the clients, I have added Netbios on Windows and I
have even added the samba's ip and hostname to the Windows' HOSTS file
manually.

The problem is that when Windows boot, the don't find the samba share to
read the special folders' contents from there. This problem occur some
times, not always. The server always work good, and even if Windows fail to
read the special 'network' folders, if I kill explorer.exe and re-run it, it
succeeds on reading them with no problem.

A friend of mine told me that I have also to setup the SyncForeground policy
in Windows, so as to delay Windows on boot and have a synchronous network
reading. I did so, but it didn't do the trick as well...

The only 'abnormal' thing in my Samba's configuration is this line:

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=4096 SO_SNDBUF=4096

...which I use for tuning purposes. However, even if I leave the default
(TCP_NODELAY) I have exactly the same abnormal behaviour, so I don't think
that this is to blame.

Do you have any suggestion to make (either in Samba's configuration or a
tweak on the Windows side) so as to overcome this problem?

Thank you very much in advance,

Konstantinos

P.S. Here is my Samba configuration:

[global]
        unix charset = ISO-8859-7
        workgroup = X-NET
        server string = %h fileserver
        browseable = No
        interfaces = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, 127.0.0.1
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        smb ports = 139
        max xmit = 65535
        time server = Yes
        deadtime = 15
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=4096
SO_SNDBUF=4096
        load printers = No
        show add printer wizard = No
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        ldap ssl = no
        invalid users = root
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, 127.0.0.1
        hosts deny = ALL

[x-net]
        comment = X-Net Essentials
        path = /s3/x-net