[Samba] Question about multiple ldap backend (as failover/load balance)

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Wed May 30 11:05:05 GMT 2007

Hi

Am Mittwoch, 30. Mai 2007 11:06 schrieb Patrick Dung:
> Hello
>
> OK, in my case, there is only one samba server acting as PDC.
> On the PDC, it has a openldap server as backend.
>
> I have configured another server as the slave ldap server. slave ldap
> server will pool data by syncrepl.
>
> There are some spaces in samba/smbldap-tool that we can configure
> multiple ldap servers (or load balance by use of DNS)
>
> What happen if the PDC write data to the slave ldap server? (or the
> master ldap server failed, data has to write to the slave ldap server.
> and then the master ldap server comes online)

you should not be allowed to make changes on a LDAP slave, which has to be
made sure by appropiate LDAP-ACLs. For write operations clients connected to
the slave must be forwarded to the master-ldap by ldap referrals.

> The main problem is that the master and slave ldap server will be out
> of sync. Can samba auto detect and fix it?

This would be a feature of the LDAP-Server, as samba can't cover all
attributes other clients may have changed. If you need this look out for an
LDAP sevrer which supports multi-master modes.

By the way: samba runs fine with an read-only copy of your LDAP as long as you
don't need to administrate something or a password needs to be changed. This
can cover downtimes of you LDAP-master without user service interruptions.

Regards
Ingo Steuwer

Ingo Steuwer           Projektmanagement        steuwer at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for your Business  fon: +49 421 22 232-43
Mary-Somerville-Str.1  28359 Bremen             fax: +49 421 22 232-99
                       http://www.univention.de