[Samba] Need help: Centos 5, Samba as file server + ACL for WORKGROUP

notinh notien notinhnotien7 at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 01:31:31 GMT 2007

Hi, all.  I could not add any additional users to a file or directory using
the Windows Security tab in Windows XP Sp2.  Here is my configuration for
samba-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2.

# grep ACL config-2.6.18-8.el5
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3_ACL=y
CONFIG_NFS_ACL_SUPPORT=m

# smbd -b | grep ACL
   HAVE_SYS_ACL_H
   HAVE_POSIX_ACLS

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00            /    ext3    defaults,acl,user_xattr
    1 1

#mount
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)

#getfacl /storage/Engineers/abc.txt
# file: storage/Engineers/abc.txt
# owner: nntien
# group: Engineers
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::---

[root at filer Engineers]# id mly
uid=501(mly) gid=501(mly)
groups=501(mly),5000(Engineers),6000(Accounting),7000(Manufacturing)
[root at filer Engineers]# id nntien
uid=500(nntien) gid=500(nntien) groups=500(nntien),5000(Engineers)

# cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd
nntien:500:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:5AF11A754A88475E68E3BFA04E552711:[U
          ]:LCT-465460BD:
mly:501:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:5AF11A754A88475E68E3BFA04E552711:[U
          ]:LCT-46549197:

My samba server has local ip as 192.168.0.203 and here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = BEEINC
        server string = FILER TEST Server
        passdb backend = smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd
        lanman auth = No
        client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
        client lanman auth = No
        client plaintext auth = No
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        deadtime = 15
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        admin users = mly
        force create mode = 0660
        force directory mode = 0770

[Engineers]
        path = /storage/Engineers
        read only = No
        security mask = 0770
        force security mode = 0770
        directory security mask = 0770
        force directory security mode = 0770
        inherit permissions = Yes
        inherit acls = Yes
        follow symlinks = No

When I accessed this Engineers share from Windows XP with nntien account, I
was able to create new files and directories.  When it came to add
additional user to the ACL, I used Windows Security tab to add but I could
not. At times, a pop up windows prompted for user name and password, I
entered root and root's passowrd.  After that I enter user name as mly into
the field, or mly at 192.168.0.203 or anything suggested but I always got the
error message of: "An object named "mly" cannot be found. I tried other
users that are not in the same owner group of this folder too but nothing
worked.

ls -lhat
total 32K
drwxrws--- 10 nntien Engineers     4.0K May 24 10:14 Engineers

-rwxrwx---   1 nntien Engineers    7 May 23 11:37 abc.txt

I still could add new user in Linux:
[root at filer Engineers]# setfacl -m user:hmtien:rx abc.txt
[root at filer Engineers]# getfacl abc.txt
# file: abc.txt
# owner: nntien
# group: Engineers
user::rwx
user:hmtien:r-x
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

# id hmtien
uid=502(hmtien) gid=502(hmtien) groups=502(hmtien),7000(Manufacturing)

When I opened the Windows Security tab in Windows Explorer, I saw this new
entry set correctly there.  I really do not want to use the command line to
do this anytime a new entry needs to be included.

Could somebody here tell me how I should go about adding more entries using
Windows Security tab?  What did I miss for my configuration?  What could be
wrong?

Thank you very much for your helps.