[Samba] 3.0.25 smbclient problem

Schaefer Jr, Thomas R. tom at umsl.edu
Wed May 23 15:53:44 GMT 2007

I went ahead and applied your patch to the source I used yesterday which is patched with Jerry's patches.  I rebuilt and reinstalled, I'm sorry to report the problem still exists.

Again, the problem in summary is:

Samba 3.0.25 servers are configured security = domain

Windows, Macintoshes, and smbclient from 3.0.24 or below can all connect to my 3.0.25 samba servers with no problem using any valid username & password pair.

I've got 4 valid username & passwords I'm testing with.  smbclient from 3.0.25 will only connect for 1 of the 4 users, for the other 3  usernames NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD is logged in log.smbd.  If I use smbclient 3.0.24, Windows, or a Mac I can connect as any of the 4 users no problem.

I can't think of anything significantly different about that one particular username.

Last week I had generated a level 10 log of one of the failing users and the one that succeeds and tried comparing them to see if I could figure anything out.  I didn't.  The logs where line for line identical for hundreds and hundres of lines.  Interspersed throughout the logs there'd be hex dumps of I don't know what but the hex dumps would always be the same.  Then all of a sudden at one point a hex dump was about 2 or 3 times as large in one log vs. the other, ascii represenation of that hex data was just gibberish for both, and then from then on the logs where entirely dissimiliar, one log proceeded to a successfull connection, one to a NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD failure.  I'm not in a position to give you more detail than that at the moment.

Tom Schaefer