[Samba] Can't login to domain from Windows 2K clients

David Lynum dlynum at youthuprising.org
Thu May 17 21:38:42 GMT 2007

Sorry,

My goof.  I pasted the smb.conf from the wrong server.  The samba server
that the win2k clients need to login to isn't the pdc.  That's why it's
not the domain master.  Here's the smb.conf for the correct server.
This server is also our ldap server.

Thanks

#Global parameters
[global]
   workgroup = YOUTHUPRISING
    netbios name = AUTH1
    server string = Youth Uprising %h
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://auth1.inside.youthuprising.org
#    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
#    passdb backend = ldapsam
#    enable privileges = Yes
#    pam password change = No
#    passwd chat debug = Yes
#    unix password sync = Yes
    ldap passwd sync = Yes
#    passwd program = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-quickpass.pl "%u" "%n"
#    passwd program = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-passwd.pl -u %u
#    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *
#    passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n *Re-enter*new*password* %n\n
*Password*changed*
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    encrypt passwords = true
#    unix password sync = Yes
#    unix password sync = No
    log level = 5
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m
    max log size = 50
    smb ports = 139 445
    name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
    time server = Yes
    printcap name = CUPS
    show add printer wizard = No
    add user script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -m "%u"
    delete user script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-userdel.pl "%u"
    add group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupadd.pl -p "%g"
    delete group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupdel.pl "%g"
    add user to group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod.pl
-m "%u" "%g"
    delete user from group script =
/var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-groupmod.pl -x "%u" "%g"
    set primary group script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-usermod.pl -g
"%g" "%u"
    add machine script = /var/lib/samba/sbin/smbldap-useradd.pl -w "%u"
#    shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
#    abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
    logon script = scripts\logon.bat
    logon path = \\file\profiles\%U
    logon drive = X:
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 80
    preferred master = Yes
    local master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    wins support = No
    utmp = Yes
   winbind use default domain = yes
    map acl inherit = Yes
    printing = cups
    lpq command = %p
    printer admin = root
    admin users = root
    guest account = guest
    veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/*.{*}/
    veto oplock files = /*.doc/*.xls/*.mdb/
    ldap suffix = dc=inside,dc=youthuprising,dc=org
    ldap machine suffix = ou=People
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=inside,dc=youthuprising,dc=org
#    ldap port = 389
#    ldap server = auth0.youthuprising.org
    ldap ssl = off
    ldap delete dn = Yes
    idmap backend = ldap:ldap://auth1.inside.youthuprising.org
   idmap uid = 10000-20000
   idmap gid = 10000-20000

   security = user
   template shell = /bin/false