[Samba] Possible problem w/ 'idmap restore' under 3.0.25rc3 (the sequel)

Don Meyer dlmeyer at uiuc.edu
Sat May 12 01:32:04 GMT 2007

At 11:22 AM 5/11/2007, Don Meyer wrote:
>At 07:17 AM 5/11/2007, simo wrote:
>> > Afterward, testing the UID mappings that should have been established
>> > (by 'getent passwd {username}' results in allocation of a new number.
>>
>>I need to know what error you get, I have no errors in storing the IDs,
>>They get created in ldap for me.
>>Maybe you can get to the real error the server returns?

>> > So, the previous patch fixes TDB mode, but that particular problem
>> > appears to still exist under LDAP mode.
>> >
>> > If there is any additional info you need (or tests to run) to help
>> > diagnose this problem, I'd be glad to try to get it for you.
>>
>>Need to know why the ldap server refuses to create the entries.
>>I can't repro this.
>

>Not being able to reproduce on your end is a good sign -- the
>problem may be on my end.   I was testing with "half-patched" rc3
>code while I'm away at a redhat conference.   Jerry has shown me the
>proper way to build fresh RPMs from the SVN tree with *all* the
>patches -- I'll plan on building fresh from this and also tearing
>down and starting the LDAP fresh, so I can get clean results later
>this afternoon/evening.   We'll see if that makes the difference...

OK, this problem was definitely on my end.   I rebuilt fresh packages
from SVN, reinstalled & reinitialized the LDAP server, and everything
worked just fine this time.    FWIW, I think I may have mistakenly
copied in one of the smb.conf variants that was set up for a
master-replica LDAP system when my replica is not replicating.   I
made sure to use the master-only variant this time, and everything is
just fine.

Sorry for the false alarm.
-D

Don Meyer                                           <dlmeyer at uiuc.edu>
Network Manager, ACES Academic Computing Facility
Technical System Manager, ACES TeleNet System
UIUC College of ACES, Information Technology and Communication Services

temporary safety,
         deserve neither liberty or safety."     -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759