[Samba] Changing Windows password complexity error dialog box

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Fri May 11 17:29:08 GMT 2007

On 5/11/07, Jerome Steunenberg <jerome at lynuxsolutions.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info Josh. I checked and there's only these options under
> Security Settings / Account Policies / Password Policy:
>
> * Enforce password history
> * Maximum password age
> * Minimum password age
> * Minimum password length
> * Password must meet complexity requirements
> * Store password using reversible encryption for all users in the domain
>
> But there's nowhere any option that allows to change the other
> complexity requirements that appear in the message box (i.e. contains at
> least three of the following four character groups...)

Password complexity requirements are hard-coded by Windows (see
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/c835b4b2-e082-478f-bdf9-b0faaa654fad1033.mspx?mfr=true)
if you enable the "Password must meet complexity requirements"
setting.  Setting up different complexity requirements (on a Windows
server) requires installing your own password filtering DLL.

> Also, changes in the above mentioned settings are not reflected in the
> message box!

Sorry, I'm not sure what to tell you there.

Josh Kelley