[Samba] Strange file listing with mounted REV drive

Kevin Bailey kbailey at freewayprojects.com
Fri May 4 22:03:31 GMT 2007

Hi,

A client has an Iomega REV drive installed on a PC and this is used for
the off-site backups.  This drive has disks left in and then that drive
on the PC is shared out.

I mount the share with

mount -t cifs //10.1.1.20/XP61REV /mnt/xp61 -o
username=user,password=password,rw

and this is mounted on to a Debian Etch / Samba 3.0.24-6 machine.

Now when I 'ls' or 'find' this share it only returns 43 file names.  If
I delete a couple files at the begining of the list (alphanumerically)
then the next 43 are shown.

I need to delete all of the existing files on the share before I then
copy across the latest backup copies.

To delete all of the files I run

# find /mnt/xp61 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 --max-args=1 -r --verbose
/bin/rm
# find /mnt/xp61 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 --max-args=1 -r --verbose
/bin/rm

several times to make sure all files have been deleted.

OK - so I have a workaround but thought this needed clarifying.

Cheers,

Kevin

--
Kevin Bailey