[Samba] 3.0.24 lock not releasing when file is closed

Neil Wright neil at outsourcingit.net.au
Wed May 2 02:19:23 GMT 2007

Samba version 3.0.24-4 on a Fedora Core 5 box.

I've been working solidly on this for the last 2 days but don't seem to be
getting anywhere.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

I've found that once a file has been opened, smbstatus shows the file is
locked as expected (see below)

Locked files:
Pid          Uid        DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock
SharePath   Name   Time
----------------------
20863        670        DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       EXCLUSIVE+BATCH
/data/home/public   New Microsoft Word Document.doc   Tue May  1 22:22:36
2007

Then when the file is then closed the lock stays (see below) for approx 20
mins before disappearing

Locked files:
Pid          Uid        DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock
SharePath   Name   Time
----------------------
20863        670        DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       NONE
/data/home/public   New Microsoft Word Document.doc   Tue May  1 22:22:36
2007

Now if the user opens the file again they get a message that the file is
locked for editing by 'another user' and then prompted to open a read-only
version of the file.  Below is the output of smbstatus showing the file
locking.

Locked files:
Pid          Uid        DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock
SharePath   Name   Time
----------------------
20863        670        DENY_NONE  0x2019f     RDWR       NONE
/data/home/public   New Microsoft Word Document.doc   Tue May  1 22:22:36
2007
24344        670        DENY_NONE  0x20089     RDONLY     LEVEL_II
/data/home/public   New Microsoft Word Document.doc   Tue May  1 22:23:33
2007

I'm concentrating on this problem in relation to Word and Excel documents
however other formats such as pdfs and jpgs are also effected.

I've found that extremely short file names (ie 5 or 6 chars) are not being
effected by this.  I can open these files and the lock appears while the
file is open then when the file is closed the lock disappears just as
expected.  Could filename length have this sort of impact?

I've experimented with kernel oplocks, oplocks and level2 oplocks.  Various
combinations of these settings have not resolved the problem.

I've also tried reset on zero vc = yes.  This solves the locking problem but
corrupts file contents instead.

Stopping samba and clearing out the tdb files in /var/cache/samba then
restarting also hasn't resolved the problem

Below is the global section of the smb.conf file.

[global]
netbios name = server

workgroup = HEADOFFICE

server string = Samba Server

printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes

printing = lprng

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

max log size = 0

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

unix password sync = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

local master = yes

os level = 64

domain master = yes

preferred master = yes

logon drive = H:

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u

wins support = yes

dns proxy = no

kernel oplocks = no

regards,