[Samba] Dueling master browsers...

Herb Lewis hlewis at panasas.com
Fri Mar 30 14:41:18 GMT 2007

most often I have seen the dueling master browsers because a
windows machine is running with both TCP/IP and NetBEUI
protocol enabled. Browser elections take place on all
protocols enabled. Since Samba does not respond to the NetBEUI
elections the windows machine will win that one no matter what
OS level is set for Samba. The windows machines have this nasty
habit of thinking if they won one election they should win them
all so they will force another election on TCP/IP. Lather, rinse
and repeat..... :-)