[Samba] Samba 3.0.24 on AIX

William Jojo jojowil at hvcc.edu
Tue Mar 27 19:09:55 GMT 2007

---- Original message ----
>Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:31:16 -0500
>From: "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer at larich.com>
>Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0.24 on AIX
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>
>That was it?  Cool, it works now!  Thanks for fixing it.
>See previous posts on Swat not working with root on AIX.
>
>There is still one issue with the pware samba distribution.
>To use the samba programs and utilities, the library files
>sitting in /opt/pware/lib are required to be in the LIBPATH
>ahead of any directories that might have libraries with the
>same names.  However, setting the LIBPATH environment
>variable as such messes with just about everything else
>outside of samba (or, more accurately, outside of pware
>provided packages).

If you check the README, there should be a section that says you should "unset LIBPATH" prior to running the software and this will force the software to use the libraries and paths embedded in the executable.

>For running smbd, nmbd, winbindd, and swat, I wrote a
>short script in /opt/pware/sbin that just sets PATH and
>LIBPATH evironment variables and then runs the corresponding
>program with all the desired arguments.  I then set this
>script as the startup for nmbd and smbd in the AIX system
>resource controller and for swat in inetd.conf.  This gets
>around the environment problem of having to start or restart
>the daemon processes or swat.  However, any user on an AIX
>terminal window who sets the environment to use the samba
>command line utilities cannot do anything else in that terminal window.

Agreed. Your script should simply "unset LIBPATH" and launch the software with fully qualified paths. Then you should not need to alter /etc/profile, /etc/environment or any other file.

:-)

Cheers,

Bill