[Samba] Samba NT Domain User/Group Confusion

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Sun Mar 25 21:29:15 GMT 2007

I'm confused about how this works in Samba. Its been a while since I set
up a server and I've gotten myself confused.

The new server are  Ubuntu AMD64 Linux with Samba 3.0.22 One of these is
the PDC. The legacy Servers are Solaris 8 running Samba 3.0.24. We are
using winbindd and local tdb files on the PDC for authentication. We
plan to migrate to LDAP latter. I have used SWAT to configure each server.

On the PDC I set up Linux logins for each user, I added them to Samba
via smbpasswd. I created a Samba Admin Group "domain". In Linux this all
looks right to me.

All users can log into the domain and access all of the shares on the
servers.

None of the users have the ability to change anything via usrmgr.exe or
svrmgr.exe.

Usrmgr.exe reports "Could not find Domain controller for this Domain".
The "Select Domain" popup lists two domains PDC and DOMAIN.

Srvmgr.exe reports"Could not find Primary DC for PDC you may administer
this domain but certain domain-wide operation will be disabled."

All users show their profile directory as "Read Only" in the Windows
and it can't be changed.

[global]
       workgroup = DOMAIN
       server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
       obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
       passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
       syslog = 0
       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
       max log size = 1000
       time server = Yes